26 February 2016
Valerii Bukhtiyarov, director of Boreskov Institute of Catalysis (Novosibirsk), reported on the prospects of using the renewable vegetable stock in the fuel and petrochemical complex of Tatarstan
Boreskov Institute of Catalysis was founded in 1958 as a part of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The founder and the first Director of the Institute till 1984 was academician Georgii Konstantinovich Boreskov.
The Institute of Catalysis was founded in 1958 as a part of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The founder and the first Director of the Institute till 1984 was academician Georgii Konstantinovich Boreskov, an eminent scientist and science manager, an expert in the field of catalysis and chemical technology. In 1992, the Institute was named after academician
The Boreskov Institute of Catalysis (BIC) is now one of the largest research centers worldwide specialized in catalysis. BIC’s affiliations are in cities St-Petersburg and Volgograd. The permanent staff consists of ca. 1000 employee, among which 350 are research scientists.
The BIC’s R&D activities span the areas from fundamental problems of catalysis to development of new catalysts and catalytic technologies and to designing semicommercial plants for the catalysts manufacturing. The main fields of catalytic research at the Boreskov Institute of Catalysis are establishment of general physicochemical regularities of catalysis, development of scientific bases for molecular design of materials and implementation of catalytic processes; creation of new generation catalysts for chemical, refinery and petrochemical industries, as well as creation of catalysts and technologies for innovative application areas.
The primary aim of fundamental studies is the prediction of catalytic action in order to create engineering basis for production of catalysts, as well as to develop and optimize catalytic processes. The most important among the fundamental studies are:
Unique scientific facilities are available at BIC’s laboratories, which allow the thorough characterization of chemical composition and properties of catalysts, investigation of mechanisms of catalytic reactions and creation of new effective catalyst for various chemical industries.
The Boreskov Institute of Catalysis is engaged in the National Federal Programs to do applied research in practically important fields. It takes part international and national programs and cooperates with a great number of Russian and foreign companies and enterprises. More than 50 catalysts and catalytic technologies have been created by BIC and industrially implemented. BIC’s products often are awarded prizes and diplomas at prestigious international forums and exhibitions.
Each year, more than 300 scientific papers by BIC’s scientists are published in refereed journals and numerous patents are acquired.
The history of the Institute lists numerous prizes and awards to honor outstanding scientific success. Among them are The Red Banner of Labour (1969) for the scientific advance and training of high-skilled scientists and the International Gold Mercury Prize (1980) for the contribution to international scientific cooperation. In 1994 the status of the State Research Center of the Russian Federation was granted to the Institute under the Russian Government Decree.